Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Fixed Unique IP Address - Yeah!

For a coupe of hours after my connection was configured - I enjoyed the relativel better speed this connection offered. 256 kbps was good for most browsing, but quite powerless for online gaming. Videoconferencing was jittery, and voice calls would break-up at times. The bigger concern that loomed great over me was that the switch where I was connected from had a couple of other connections which meant that the 256 kbps bandwidth was being distributed amongst multiple users. I woud tackle that with the TOM when I got to speak with him. This was ethically incorrect and I would demand a remedy - but this was later.
Suddenly, my thoughts were abruptly disturbed by a sly little yellow window that emerged out of my network icon on the System Tray. It read "IP Address Conflict"! I was jolted. I thought this was the most difficult part of the contract to breach. I called up the Field Engineer first, he was surprised too. So he came over and contacted the Network Operations Center (NOC). He discovered that they had provided an incorrect IP address. Phew! I was thinking they had started slicing IP addresses just like they were slicing bandwidth among multipe users. So we got me a new IP address from the NOC - this time unique and fixed! I was back in business by Friday June 15, 2007.

No comments:

Your ISP?